|Resolve to Get Involved!!!|
Want to make a difference?
Chatham Literacy can help!We want to engage you in our adult literacy cause.
1) Become a tutor. One-year commitment, teaching 1 – 2 lessons per week (one-on-one or in a small group). Tutoring location and timing are convenient to you. Tutor training is provided for free. Services include:
– English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) to teach non-English speakers how to read, write, speak and comprehend English
– Citizenship Preparation, to prepare adults for the U.S. naturalization test to become U.S. citizens
– Adult Goal-Based Education, to help adults read at a desired level to achieve a specific goal such as employment advancement, attainment of a vocational degree or reading just for fun
– Financial Literacy (in pilot phase) to build adults’ skills in budgeting, building a savings plan, and establishing and maintaining credit
– Digital Literacy to build adults’ skills in navigating the virtual world and being able to fully participate in literacy classes via virtual platform
– Spanish Literacy (in pilot phase) to teach native Spanish speakers how to read and write in Spanish2)
Volunteer on a Chatham Literacy committee, one-year commitment of 3 – 5 hours/month, on average.
– Program and Communication (programming and marketing)
– Event (planning two annual author luncheons)
– Development (fundraising, grant writing and donor cultivation)
– Finance (ensuring financial accountability)3) Become a Board Director.
Three-year commitment of 10 – 12 hours/month, on average, providing overall guidance and advice toward meeting the literacy needs of our community.
4) Attend a Chatham Literacy event. Our next event is a Spring for Literacy Luncheon, scheduled on May 17, 2023 at Governors Club. Author Lee Smith will keynote with her new book, Silver Alert. Tickets go on sale March 15, 2023.
5) Volunteer in the Chatham Literacy office, (organizing, doing data entry, analyzing data, proctoring literacy assessments, conducting mock interviews for the citizenship exam).
6) Make a financial contribution to Chatham Literacy — 84¢ of every dollar goes directly toward literacy services.
*****Contact us if you want to become involved or have questions? Literacy opens doors…together we are building better futures.Thank you so much for being a friend of Chatham Literacy.
We look forward to hearing from you,
Chatham Literacy Executive Director
Resolve to Get Involved!