What we do
Too many people in Chatham County can’t get ahead because they don’t read and write well enough or they can’t speak English. Some can’t get a job or promotion because they didn’t graduate from high school or they aren’t U.S. citizens.
Chatham Literacy can help.
We offer free tutoring for adults who live or work in Chatham County and want to:
- Improve their reading and writing ability
- Learn basic math
- Study English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Prepare to take the test to earn a high school credential
- Prepare for the test to become a U.S. citizen
- Learn basic computer skills
- Learn about the norms and expectations of today’s workplaces
Chatham Literacy is a non-profit that offers free one-on-one tutoring and small classes for adult learners. Since we started delivering services in April 2008, we have served 554 students with the help of 175 volunteer tutors.
During FY2015-16, 186 adult learners were served by 79 volunteer tutors — and many reached one or more of their goals:
- 13 got a job or promotion
- 9 became U.S. citizens
- 12 graduated from workplace soft skills training
- 36 improved their literacy by one level
- 46 showed test improvement
In FY2015-16, our students and tutors logged a remarkable 4,241 hours of instruction, compared with 1,780 hours the previous year.
We’d also be happy to talk with you about Chatham Literacy. If you have questions, please contact us at 919-742-0578 or send an email to email@example.com.